Monday, February 27, 2017

6 Reads for March


It's almost March so I thought I would suggest a few books to add to your list for this next month. I have been a reading machine lately, and have some wonderful things I just finished up and some that I am just beginning too. I would LOVE your input, and for you to share anything you're reading as well! Here we go --

Big Little Lies

So I thought I read this, and even after watching the first episode on HBO last week I thought I still may have (sometimes I totally forget things I read which is annoying), but after grabbing the sample on my Kindle I realized I never had! I seriously devoured this book in three days, reading way too late into the night. At first I was unsure about the writing style, but once I got into it, it was a major page turned. The story is all about a group of mothers at a small school, and some really crazy drama that unfolds...you'll just have to trust me and get it!

Hillbilly Elegy

I saw this book featured on a blog I frequent, and then when I hopped over to its Amazon page I saw it had over 5,000 almost perfect reviews. The Economist said that "you will not read a more important book about America this year," and I was intrigued from the start. From the back cover: "Hillbilly Elegy is a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis—that of poor, white Americans. The disintegration of this group, a process that has been slowly occurring now for over forty years, has been reported with growing frequency and alarm, but has never before been written about as searingly from the inside. In Hillbilly Elegy, J.D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hanging around your neck." Interesting for sure!

See Me

I love a good Nicolas Sparks story, and I think by this point I've probably read everything he has ever written. No shame! haha. I think he's an engaging writer, and I enjoy being able to kind of shut off my brain and just get into whatever story he's telling. Most of the time I find myself crying throughout the book, but this one was different. So if you typically avoid his novels due to their cheesiness (I know) or their ability to make you feel sad for a week after putting it down, this one may be a good option for you. It's still cheesy, but totally bearable, I think. To give you a very brief idea of the plot- a formerly violent guy attempts to start over, and meets someone and falls in love...that's all you need to know! ;)

The Year We Turned Forty

I haven't read this book yet, but it's on my list after being recommended to me by a good friend with great taste! I don't know much about it, except what she told me- that it's a story about a group of friends who get to go back in time (to the year they turned forty, of course!), and change the course of their life. I'll let you know what I think- I'm going to start this one this weekend.

Small Great Things

I finally finished this book last night and WOW. I really loved it. It was so moving, and very fitting (and upsetting) considering my current pregnancy. In a very condensed nutshell this book tells the story of racism today, weaving together the point of views of a black nurse, a white supremacist, and the lawyer who defends the nurse after something terrible happens involving the white supremacist's child. It's a page-turner for sure, and sheds a lot of light on so many important issues. This is a really well-written story that I highly recommend you pick up!

Tools of Titans

Hank is always reading books like this one- he's such a motivated person and chooses books that continue to inspire him. I love that. I often like to sneak a peek at what's he's reading, and when our friend Zack also mentioned this book at dinner last week I knew I had to check it out. I just started it earlier in the week, but I'm already hooked. It's easy to read and super motivating. A collection of stories, tips, and life lessons from super successful people around the world, I feel like it's going to be a keeper on our book shelf. Do you ever read books like this? I find them pretty fascinating, but I typically love OR hate them...this one definitely falls into the love category so far. I'll keep you posted.

Happy reading! xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I listened to Small Great Things on Audible. It was fantastic! But oh so sad! I loved the way it ended. Her books are always so interesting, so much detail about the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Small Great Things the other night! It was a Christmas gift and when I started reading it I thought "oh my" but gave it a chance. This morning on CNN I read a report about a young couple being sentenced to prison for hate crimes they had committed. Made think of this book...Nonfiction or Fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED Small Great Things. It definitely changed the way I think about things. I want to read Big Little Lies...especially because of the new HBO show.
    Thanks for sharing your list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Small Great Things last month and thought it was brilliant, very though provoking and downright scary in parts. I'm going to look into a few of these others to add to my list. My husband always picks books that are important or inspiring, he doesn't often read light-hearted books and rolls his eyes at some of the things I read. Every now and then he talks me into trying them and I do usually enjoy them once I get into them.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips